Do you want to focus more on the good things each day? These positive journal prompts are a great way to honor the small things each day and focus on the positive things in your life. By working on your mental health, you will hopefully have more positive experiences than bad days.
Some of these prompts make take you out of your comfort zone when you ponder negative thoughts but the effects of your self-reflection will have a positive impact on your daily life. You can download 5 FREE journaling pages at the bottom of the post.
Benefits of Journaling
Journaling has been shown to provide benefits in a variety of areas, including stress management, reaching goals, improving mental clarity and boosting creativity. From increasing your self-awareness to reducing anxiety, here’s how journaling can help you in many ways.
1) Journaling lowers stress levels. – One of the main benefits of journaling is that it can help to lower stress levels. Writing about the stressful events in your life could provide a sense of relief. When you release your negative thoughts and feelings on paper, you reduce the stress associated with keeping them bottled up inside of you.
2) Journaling can help you achieve your goals. If you’re trying to achieve a goal, journaling can be a great way to help you get there. It can also help you maintain or increase your levels of motivation and commitment to that goal. For example, when you write down the reasons why you want to achieve a goal, it can increase your motivation to take action. Additionally, if you journal about your progress on a regular basis, it can help keep you accountable.
3) Journaling gives you creative ideas. Your journal is a great place for creative thinking. When you allow yourself to experiment with different writing styles and topics, you can come up with some great ideas. In fact, many famous authors started out by writing in their journals.
4) Journaling helps you become more self-aware. When you reflect on your thoughts and feelings, you get a better sense of who you are and what’s important to you. This can be especially helpful if you’re going through a challenging time in your life. By understanding yourself better, you can make better decisions and take steps toward living the life that you want.
5) Journaling reduces feelings of anxiety. If you’re dealing with stress or worry, writing your thoughts down can help to clear your mind and put things into perspective. It can also help you find solutions that you might otherwise overlook.
6) Journaling is a great way to keep memories. Writing about events in your life can help you look back on them with fondness, especially in times of stress and hardship. It can also be a great way to connect with your family members and loved ones to record important moments that you want to share with them.
7) Journaling helps you focus on the present. This can be helpful in times of stress, when it’s easy to get wrapped up in negative thoughts about the past or future. By writing about the present, you’re able to focus on what’s happening right now and appreciate it more.
15 Positive Journal Prompts
If you want to keep it super simple, the easiest positive journal prompt is to write a gratitude list. Many people try to make a daily habit to practice gratitude by writing down a list of things they are grateful for each day.
You can write these prompts as sentence starters, or just free-write your answers. The goal is to practice positive thinking, so be willing to bask in the moment of feeling good! Now go forth and journal…
Topics Rather Than Positive Journal Prompts
If you would rather just free write about different topics to lift your spirits, try these suggestions:
- List your favorite songs
- Write your happiest childhood memory
- List your unique talents
- Describe the most beautiful thing you have ever seen.
- Write about the last time you laughed so hard you cried.
- Describe your dream day.
- Write about your favorite place to visit.
- Write about 3 things, places, or people that immediately lift your spirits and put you in a good mood.
- Describe a small thing you can do for someone as a random act of kindness.
- List three things you can add to your daily routine to help you maintain a positive mindset.
- List your favorite smell and why. How does it make you feel when you smell it?
- What is your favorite time of day and why?
Self DIscovery and Self Reflection Journal Prompts
Ready to gain a deeper understanding of what makes you happy and brings you positive vibes? Try a journaling prompt from below to start your gratitude journey of self love.
50 Positive Thinking Journal Prompts
Positive Journal Prompt #1 – You are loved.
You are loved. By someone, somewhere, somehow. Never forget that feeling. Reflect and write about a few favorite memories that you have had with someone who loves you.
#2 – Hard Times make you stronger.
Your life would be boring without the struggles you face right now. Even if it doesn’t feel like it at this moment in time, they make you stronger and better equipped for whatever comes next. What experiences have made you stronger in life?
#3 – The past shapes your future.
Your future self is looking back at your current experience with a new perspective and you can appreciate it more. What feelings are you having right now that may transform into a moment in time that you’re glad happened because it helped shape who you are today?
#4 – You create change.
People come into your life not because of who they were when they arrived but because of who they become after spending time with you. Who’s life have you changed for the better and why?
#5 – Clarity About Your Past
Some things happen the way they do for a reason, even if that reason isn’t clear yet. Look back and write about an experience where the reasons became much clearer to you after time passed.
#6 – Face your Negative Feelings
At times, worry and fear are illusions built by our minds when we’re confronted with something that scares us. List things that you can stop believing in today so they will start to lose their power over you.
#7 – Unexpectedly Happy
Sometimes your greatest inspiration comes from the most unexpected of people and places. Describe a positive experience you had unexpectedly.
Positive Affirmations While You Sleep
#8 – Support with Difficult Emotions
You are not alone, maybe more than you’ve ever realized before. No matter how certain you are that nobody else could possibly understand what’s going through your mind and heart right now. There is always someone who feels exactly like you do right now. Write down three negative feelings and three positive feelings that you are having right now.
#9 – What Would Make You Happy Today?
Don’t be afraid to break the rules if it means doing what makes you happy or following your heart when it tells you to take a risk even if it seems like the scariest thing in the world. Write down what would make you happy starting today!
#10 – Self Discovery is Healthy Habit
There’s nothing wrong with taking some time for yourself now and then, even if it means removing yourself from hectic social situations for an hour or two to just be alone with your thoughts. Describe places you would like to go to self-reflect.
Positive Journal Prompts #11 – Positive Influence
Life changes constantly; one day someone is here with you and the next they’re gone forever – but that doesn’t mean what they brought to your life has disappeared along with them. Treasure every positive influence because they will always leave a footprint on who you are today. Write about someone who was a positive influence in your life.
#12 – First Step to Positive Change
Sometimes you have to stop fighting so hard against change and let things happen naturally instead. even if the future seems more uncertain than ever. You’ll find your footing eventually. Reflect on positive changes you can make in your daily life starting today even if it feels scary.
How to Create a Routine for Yourself
#13 – Positive Effects of Crying
It’s okay (and completely normal!) to feel overwhelmed by all of your responsibilities or not be able to catch up on everything that needs doing. Sometimes you just have to sit down and cry for a few minutes before getting back to your regular routine because crying helps rejuvenate your spirit and re-energizes you with renewed focus. Write down things that are heavy in your heart right now to help reduce your stress levels.
#14 – Focus on the Present Moment
It takes time to heal but the scars never fully fade – remind yourself of this when you’re feeling sad or lost, especially when flashbacks may threaten to overwhelm you with grief. Remain present and focus on today. List five things you can see or hear that are positive in your life right now.
Positive Journal Prompts #15 – Let it Go
Some things are entirely out of your control so don’t waste time trying to force them into happening exactly how you want them to. Work with what you have to make the most of your situation instead of wasting energy on issues beyond your control – you’ll find yourself much happier when you stop trying to do things that are impossible. Write down three things that you need to let go of control of to make room for positive thoughts.
Download your FREE Positive Journal Prompts Here
These free sample pages are from the complete 50 Positive Thinking Journal Prompts.
Thank you for your interest. Sign up to receive the weekly email newsletter and other announcements from Reflect Affirm. You will be redirected to the PDF. If you can not see the sign up box, email us at [email protected] and reference this freebie.