Do you ever feel like everyone you speak to has a negative outlook on life? Maybe you feel like all you ever hear is bad news – on the television, on social media, on the radio – a constant stream of negativity. It can be hard to learn how to stay positive in a negative world especially when everyone else around you seems to be unhappy or complaining.
It can also be overwhelming to consider the big problems in the world – poverty, war, violence, disease, famine – these issues are real and they are frightening.
How can you stay positive while these worries are weighing you down?
If you have been struggling to stay positive in a negative world then you have come to the right place.
We have the advice you need to help you keep a smile on your face and a spring in your step even in the most challenging times. Keep reading to find out more.
How to Embrace Positive Self-Talk
It is important to stay up to date with current events as well as local and global news. However, too much media consumption can leave you feeling really negative.
Try to limit the time that you spend watching TV or scrolling through your phone. Here are some useful tips to help you:
- Only check the headlines once a day and turn of push notifications for the news
- Set aside two or three time slots a day to check social media – 15 minutes in the morning, 15 minutes in the afternoon and perhaps a smaller timeslot in the evening.
- Only turn on the TV to watch a specific phone or television program. Do not leave it on in the background or watch things just for the sake of it.
- Only use one form of media at once. If you are watching TV, don’t pick up your phone. If you are using your phone, don’t have the television on in the background.
- Try to be present. If you are spending time with a friend or family member, put your phone away and turn off the television.
Daily affirmations are a great way to reframe your thoughts and set yourself up for a positive attitude throughout the day.
Try to get into the habit of repeating your chosen affirmations every morning – it could be while you are eating breakfast, drinking coffee, getting dressed, or even while you are traveling to work. Here are some examples of positive daily affirmations:
- I choose inner peace and happiness
- I feel calm and relax
- I attract and radiate positivity
- The Universe has good intentions for me
- I am prepared for the challenges ahead
- I am strong and capable
- I can control my thoughts and my actions
- I will be a positive energy in the world
- I feel calm and relaxed
- II am letting go of negative thoughts and feelings
- I am releasing the tension in my muscles
- I am choosing to have a good day
50 Positive Thinking Journal Prompts
Do The Things You Love
It can be easy to get caught up in negative thoughts and feelings if you feel like you never have any time for yourself. Perhaps you are so busy with work, chores, or taking care of others that you forget to take care of yourself.
Try to make a little bit of time every day to do something that you love, even if it is only half an hour. If you limit your media consumption, you will be surprised at how much extra time you have for the things you enjoy! Here are some ideas:
- Read a book
- Play an instrument
- Draw, paint, or create art or dance to express yourself
- Spend time with a friend
- Have a peaceful coffee by yourself
- Run yourself a nice bath and light some candles to relax
- Go to your favorite spot and enjoy the view
- Call someone on the phone that you haven’t spoken to in a while
- Play a sport or exercise
- Go for a walk in nature and get some fresh air
Listen To Happy Music
If you are feeling down and lethargic, listening to some upbeat music might help to improve your mood. Try to find something with positive lyrics and a song that puts a smile on your face.
You could collect this music in a playlist that you can come back to whenever you feel like you need a boost.
If you are feeling overwhelmed with negative thoughts and this makes you anxious, you might prefer to listen to soothing music. Try to avoid sad, slow music, and instead go for something ambient and relaxing.
Positivity is contagious, so surrounding yourself with positive people can make you feel a lot better.
If you seem to be surrounded by negative people that bring you down, it is okay to take a break and find people who make you feel happier.
Whether it is people you know already, or you want to branch out and make new friends, there will be like minded positive people that you can connect with. You could try joining a club or a sports team to make new friends (see also ‘Affirmations For Making Friends‘).
If you show kindness to others it will make them feel better, and it will also help to improve your mood. Try to take opportunities to complete random acts of kindness for other people, and pass on the positivity.
The more positivity you send out into the universe, the more you will receive in return. And being good to other people releases happy hormones which will make you feel better, so it is a win-win situation!
It is easy to become weighed down by negativity, but there are things that you can do to try and stay positive. Even if it feels like the world is against you, there is always some positivity to be found.
If you notice that a particular thing in your life makes you feel negative, try to cut it out, give it less attention, or reduce the power it holds over you.
Positive Thoughts Posters
NEED MORE FREE PRINTABLE AFFIRMATIONS?
Don’t forget to continue with your positive mindset! Check out more FREE printable affirmations.