We have plenty of affirmations to help you get started here but perhaps you would like to learn how to make your own affirmations. When we are working on self-improvement each one of us is unique. This makes is a wonderful idea to create your own unique positive statements and thoughts.
You will want to learn how to write affirmations or simply how to tweak the positive statements. This can help you to be more specific about your own goals. Affirmations are powerful tools you can use to help you live the life you’ve always dreamed of.
How to Make Your Own Affirmations – Step 1
To begin with you need to understand what affirmations are. They are positive statements that you say out loud, read, or write down on a regular basis. The goal is to re-program your subconscious mind so you can remove any negative thoughts that prevent you from living your dreams and replace them with positive thoughts.
These statements work by overwriting negative thoughts, which are stored in your subconscious, with positive ones.
Why Are Positive Statements Beneficial?
We all have mental recordings repeating again and again in our mind. Most of them come from childhood and have been directing our actions for years. Unfortunately, many of these old recordings are constantly feeding our mind negative information.
These negative recordings don’t always come from direct statements from people, but they tend to be general theories we’ve come to believe about our situation or ourselves.
If our parents always cautioned us about strangers, for example, we may have the mindset that sees the world as a dangerous place. If we came from a family without much money, we may have limiting beliefs about our finances that prevent us from attaining or keeping wealth.
The good news is you can override these destructive messages using the power of affirmations! They can reinforce good behaviors and change ones that need changing.
To make those changes, you need to create affirmations you can identify with so they can help you improve.
How to Write Your Own Affirmations – Step 2
Writing or tweaking affirmations is not difficult. Focus on keeping these key points in mind to create effective positive affirmations:
- An affirmation must be in the present tense. Your subconscious doesn’t have the ability to accept a promise of future behavior. “I will eat healthy foods” doesn’t give your mind a timeline or deadline to perform your promise to yourself.
- Instead, state your affirmation as though it’s a behavior you already exhibit. “I always make healthy food choices” is a present tense statement your subconscious can accept as a fact or simply “I make healthy food choices”.
- For affirmations to work properly, they must be stated in the first person. In other words, don’t create an affirmation saying, “You must eat healthy foods.” In order for your affirmation to matter to your subconscious, it must be personal and use the word “I.” You must refer to your own self to change your thoughts.
- “I choose healthy foods every time I eat” is a personal statement your subconscious can apply to your own behavior.
- Finally, an affirmation must be stated in a positive manner. “I must stop eating junk food” sends your mind a distorted message; it interprets the same as “I eat junk food.” This type of statement will lead you in the opposite direction of your goal!
- Instead, “I choose fresh, healthy snacks when I am hungry” is a positive statement telling your mind the exact desired behavior.
How to Make Your Own Affirmations – Step 3
Once you have figured out how to make your own affirmations, now you need to put them into action.
Begin using affirmations by choosing a few short, clear statements about the things you’d like to see happen in your life.
Try some of these examples:
- I enjoy exercising every day.
- I love eating nutritious fresh foods in healthy portions.
- I breathe clean, fresh air.
- I have everything I need to be content and happy today.
If you want more specific, longer affirmations, explore all of the free positive affirmations here that you can rewrite from your own perspective.
You can write your affirmations on note cards and keep them with you in your purse or wallet. Whenever you have a few moments to spare, take them out and read them aloud. If you want a simple set to try out, you can download these for free.
Read the statement out loud in a clear, firm voice with a smile on your face as you say them. This will help you become more aware of the positive vibrations of the affirmations, allowing them easier access to your subconscious mind.
Make the affirmations a daily habit. Using affirmations on a daily basis is a terrific way to boost the positives in your life. Start using this powerful tool today to bring the changes you most desire into your world.